April 23, 2024, 01:05:46 PM

Author Topic: Github Repository Policy  (Read 2394 times)

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
Github Repository Policy
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
We are looking for comments and suggestions on this topic from the community.

My understanding is that the goldcoin/gldcoin Github repository should contain the source code of the current release. In addition, we need to establish a 'best practices' type policy for managing and publishing changes to the repository.

What are the best practices? For example, where should we locate the code for the new update which is under testing, how do we keep up with the changes submitted by various developers, how should the github permissions be configured, etc.

Perhaps someone can help us come up with an official repo policy?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:35:10 PM by MicroGuy »
"The heart of any cryptocurrency can be found in the spirit of its community."

Offline tadspoles

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: Github Repository Policy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »
Easiest, uneducated comment but with opensource stuff lots of times you just throw it up there, make sure you have copies and the master password--if github has that kinda thing (secure/long password) and make up the policies as you go.  I'm sure changes will be made over time.

That's my big mouth uneducated comment of the day.

Offline tadspoles

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: Github Repository Policy
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »
I'll read a bit more about git but I suppose everyone should be able to have read access and be able to git clone the entire project.  This way if it's hacked or github itself dies (not likely at all--maybe not even possible), a lot of us will have local copies.

Anyone with experience, feel free to challenge this as I am just throwing guesses out.