April 19, 2024, 02:05:18 AM

Author Topic: Security  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Armis

• Prospector
    • View Profile
    • Armis
Security
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
Saw this was concerned:

https://cryptsy.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/73746?page=1#posts-208769

is that possible, if so how can it be combated?

www.ArmisGame.com
Where Wisdom Always Wins

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
Re: Security
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
It appears that this user shared private information with an unknown third-party. Probably best not to leave any substantial amount of coins on any exchange and to use caution when conducting business with untrusted users.
"The heart of any cryptocurrency can be found in the spirit of its community."

Offline Armis

• Prospector
    • View Profile
    • Armis
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
It appears that this user shared private information with an unknown third-party. Probably best not to leave any substantial amount of coins on any exchange and to use caution when conducting business with untrusted users.

essentially everyone in the coin business is new, from what I read bitcoin was $.30 in 2011 and nearly $1300 in 2013, and they are the veterans.  Even now is the early beginnings, which is why I'm running around trying to get my coin phd so that I could be properly positioned for the forthcoming coinboom.

Take a look at this: https://cryptsy.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/47604   Clearly cryptsy is under attack, be it from invaders, disgruntle employees, or just competitors spamming up the board. 

I just need to know how to deal with it from my side because there aren't too many places to buy coin and I want to get started as soon as possible, but I'm not willing to risk security.

Question: does the wallet stay with the computer, so if you get a new computer you have a new wallet? 
www.ArmisGame.com
Where Wisdom Always Wins

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
Question: does the wallet stay with the computer, so if you get a new computer you have a new wallet?

There is an important file on your computer that contains your private information.

The file is located in the users\[username]\appdata\roaming\GoldCoin (GLD) folder and is named "wallet.dat". If you sell your computer, you will need to make sure to remove this file and restore it to your new computer. Alternatively, you could send all of your Goldcoins to a different wallet address hosted on another machine.

You should also make sure to encrypt your wallet to protect it from unauthorized use.

Offline Armis

• Prospector
    • View Profile
    • Armis
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
Thanks MicroGuy

Here is a video that I am currently viewing that has great points, the most important point to me is at 25:30 he says:

"I store about 5% of my Bitcoin online, 95% of my Bitcoin I encode with secret keys that are printed on paper, paper wallets ... then I store them in a safe"

that was the 'ah ha moment' for me.  Earlier on he mentioned that we have to play bank with our own money, now I see how.

I'm not 100% on how to encode and create new keys, but I think I know how to do that, but for now  ... I'm back to the vid
www.ArmisGame.com
Where Wisdom Always Wins

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Here's a link to the Goldcoin paper wallet if you want to give it a try: http://goldcoinwallet.com/

Once you send the coins to the paper wallet address, you can print it and store the physical wallet in a safe place.

Offline Armis

• Prospector
    • View Profile
    • Armis
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
Here's a link to the Goldcoin paper wallet if you want to give it a try: http://goldcoinwallet.com/

Once you send the coins to the paper wallet address, you can print it and store the physical wallet in a safe place.

thanks for that

this vid is even better than the other one with respect to security,  I enjoyed it immensely:

I don't like the idea of being able to lock yourself out, with this system (or protocol, if you don't use the software) you can use the encrypted systems and still be completely safe. 
www.ArmisGame.com
Where Wisdom Always Wins