April 26, 2024, 10:08:04 AM

Author Topic: Problems with new wallet  (Read 29600 times)

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
Problems with new wallet
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:40:22 AM »
We have two problems with the new wallet on http;//gld.smarterhash.com pool

First - basic wallet functions such as getbalance are often very slow. I know it's not the server because I am running the wallet on a very fast server with lots of ram and other wallets with much larger block chains are not slow like the new goldcoin wallet is.

Prior to the recent updates I would say that Goldcoin was probably the most reliable wallet I have run a pool for, but that's not the case any longer. I would have to say that it's now probably the worst of any major coin.

Second - since the new release there are a very high number of orphan blocks - incredibly high - almost to the point where no one is even interested in the mining the coin any longer. I have received numerous complaints from miners in the pool and they simply give up mining this coin.

It's clear the new wallet has problems and needs work - when will these problem be corrected?

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
Re: Problems with new wallet
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:49:13 AM »
screen snap from hashfaster's pool just now - multiple orphan blocks there also

Offline TestingCrypto

• Gold Panner
  • The world is what we make it, since the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
   Good day, give this a read & you'll find it useful. It will clear up why the pool you're on is showing that, have a great day & hope I was able to help you.

Sincerely,
~TC
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5859/what-are-orphaned-and-stale-blocks

https://blockchain.info/orphaned-blocks

Applications are creating ways for people around the world to learn, work & innovating the path for the future. Still very few people see what can be built with what is being created here...
E8Gvgpc3j6SXo2EW6sLbjutDrD8f4jcppq

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:26:59 AM »
that's very interesting and thank you - I have read that before but how do you explain the same problem when I solo mine without using the pool and why are not any of my other 50 pools / wallets experiencing the same problems?

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:32 AM »
just snapped from gld.cryptcoins.net

Offline TestingCrypto

• Gold Panner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »
that's very interesting and thank you - I have read that before but how do you explain the same problem when I solo mine without using the pool and why are not any of my other 50 pools / wallets experiencing the same problems?

I'm not here to explain it to you, that you'll have to either choose to use or not & helping with real issues is why I'm here. Haven't been around long enough to check the new or even old code in detail (golden river?), that's not my area of expertise & even if it was (not the reason I'm here). I have tested 1000's of wallets, many have certain things that look like big problems. LOOK @ Bitcoin's last few weeks/month, didn't have once ounce of worry & alts on the other hand. They are much more simple for people to stir up the BIG or SMALL crowds, unlike the people who come & go in crypto (making money). I have spent more time than most do on their fulltime (overtime) JOBS, not one time have I ever cashed out (trading on the market, yes & it's all part of testing) & may not have started as seeing the world changing technology this could become... I did however after starting to actually look into learning about it, not just using it & reading non-stop.
Applications are creating ways for people around the world to learn, work & innovating the path for the future. Still very few people see what can be built with what is being created here...

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »

I'm not here to explain it to you, that you'll have to either choose to use or not & helping with real issues is why I'm here. Haven't been around long enough to check the new or even old code in detail (golden river?), that's not my area of expertise & even if it was (not the reason I'm here). I have tested 1000's of wallets, many have certain things that look like big problems. LOOK @ Bitcoin's last few weeks/month, didn't have once ounce of worry & alts on the other hand. They are much more simple for people to stir up the BIG or SMALL crowds, unlike the people who come & go in crypto (making money). I have spent more time than most do on their fulltime (overtime) JOBS, not one time have I ever cashed out (trading on the market, yes & it's all part of testing) & may not have started as seeing the world changing technology this could become... I did however after starting to actually look into learning about it, not just using it & reading non-stop.

thanks - I just find it oddly curious that neither the prior wallet or dozens of other wallets exhibit this behavior - that is until the developers made changes to the source code.

I subscribe to Occam's Razor when in doubt: "When you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better" and the simplest explanation here is not some coordinated change in behavior among three disparate pools (and I'm sure there are more if I looked),, but rather a change in the wallet source code that has caused this behavior.

again - thanks for your insight from experience with thousands of wallets.

Offline TestingCrypto

• Gold Panner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »
   You're welcome, just here to help & also having tested every pool or exchange in sight (not many people that have been around can say that, it took years for some to even start testing alts & most stick with one or two). I'm no 30 year coder with experience to point out exactly what you're pointing out, but who knows & maybe there are some that would just answer that upon the first post. Most coding developers don't explain exactly how it works & why, just works or it doesn't (some ?'s would take years of schooling to explain)  8)

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
are you one of the developers of this wallet?

Offline cryptosolar

• Legendary
  • - Leading light -
    • View Profile
    • https://www.goldcoin.org/
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
hi,
 for multi pools like smarter hash, gld is not the best choice, and your pool want 50 $ to mine on your pool right ? and we should help you for nothing and you take the profit ?

sry but it seems better for all to remove gld from your multipool because you are wasting mining power.

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
hi,
 for multi pools like smarter hash, gld is not the best choice, and your pool want 50 $ to mine on your pool right ? and we should help you for nothing and you take the profit ?

sry but it seems better for all to remove gld from your multipool because you are wasting mining power.

Smarterhash is NOT a multi pool - we run an individual pools for GLD - what is the difference whether or not I run one pool or twenty pools on my server?

A multipool by my definition is a pool that takes the choice of which coin to mine away from the individual miners and makes those choices for him or her. We do no such thing. We give users detailed and accurate information and the tools necessary to make their own coin choices and they switch their miners through our control panel from one coin to another or based on predefined rules THEY establish (not us) that measure numerous coin metrics.

cyptosolar - I do not mean to be rude but your response shows your ignorance as it relates to coin profitability. It's apparent you are not aware that for someone with less than 500 MH/s of hashing power GLD is currently the 7th most profitable coin to mine out of 57 scrypt coins we track.

since you're on the Dream Team - I think it's time to wake up.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:31:09 PM by smarterhash »

Offline TestingCrypto

• Gold Panner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
are you one of the developers of this wallet?

I'm not the developer of any wallet, but a developer in this technology (hardware tester if you will) & where it may lead. The pool support is up to the community, it's tough for the pools & believe me when I say "I've seen many pools, even ones I though were some of the best coded & not just a copy/paste edit coin info". If GLD isn't preforming the best on your pool, it's not the developers of the wallet (client) & more of a community (like picking a merchant or exchange, which there has been more than most have any concept of when they enter the crypto-space).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:02:06 PM by TestingCrypto »

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
hi,

Smarterhash is NOT a multi pool - we run an individual pools for GLD - what is the difference whether or not I run one pool or twenty pools on my server?

A multipool by my definition is a pool that takes the choice of which coin to mine away from the individual miners and makes those choices for him or her. We do no such thing. We give users detailed and accurate information and the tools necessary to make their own coin choices and they switch their miners through our control panel from one coin to another or based on predefined rules THEY establish (not us) that measure numerous coin metrics.

cyptosolar - I do not mean to be rude but your response shows your ignorance as it relates to coin profitability. It's apparent you are not aware that for someone with less than 500 MH/s of hashing power GLD is currently the 7th most profitable coin to mine out of 57 scrypt coins we track.

since you're on the Dream Team - I think it's time to wake up.

I sent you a PM earlier explaining that I would ask our developer to look into your issue. There are no other reported problems, not from any pool, exchange, or related service provider.

Regarding your auto-switching remark, I took the screenshot below from the homepage of your paid subscription-based website.

Cryptosolar is perfectly aware of how coin profitability works. Let's please remain civil and respectful in our conversation. And also, please remember, this is open source experimental software not retail software with paid support. Thank you for understanding.
"The heart of any cryptocurrency can be found in the spirit of its community."

Offline akumaburn

• Lead Developer
  • DevTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:53:28 PM »
Hi,

Those amount of orphans are unusual(except when there is a large amount of hash power being switched on(in which case it is by design)).

Have you synchronized your pool's system time with NTP?

GoldCoin (GLD) is very sensitive to system time for mining. That could be the reason why your blocks are being rejected.

You can take a look at HashFaster's block find page for the explanation:

http://gld.hashfaster.com/index.php?page=statistics&action=blocks

As you can see from Last 7 days stat:

923 blocks were found    826 valid     97 orphan

Subtract the last 24 hours stat:

202 blocks were found   139 valid    63 orphan

and we are left with:

721 blocks were found 687 valid 34 orphan

This shows normal GLD operation(4.9% orphan rate) over the last 6 days before 24 hours ago..

The last 24 hours show a lot of orphans because there has been a hash rate spike, the client is designed to orphan blocks when this happens.

It is perfectly normal behavior for the last 24 hours.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:02:45 PM by akumaburn »
Want to donate to the Development Team?

GLD:
DztaVPtUd2M5TwfifBUaq5bLrAscYeMbyd

Offline smarterhash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
Hi,

Those amount of orphans are unusual(except when there is a large amount of hash power being switched on).

Have you synchronized your pool's system time with NTP?

GoldCoin (GLD) is very sensitive to system time for mining. That could be the reason why your blocks are being rejected.

so...my pool and the other two pools that I've posted screen snaps of with lots of orphans all have our clocks wrong?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:30:12 PM by smarterhash »