April 25, 2024, 11:21:08 PM

Author Topic: Can I retrieve my lost coins?  (Read 4937 times)

Offline wonderizzy

• View Profile
Can I retrieve my lost coins?
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
Hi, I had some Goldcoins but I didn't look at the account for a few years. The other day I downloaded the new software and I realised that there weren't any GLD in there. I managed to find where I had the old software stored on an external drive. The wallet seemed to be syncing, but actually the numbers weren't moving, so I uninstalled the new software, and tried to use my old software. Since then, the wallet is just out of synch, and does not appear to be synching at all. I have tried reinstalling the new wallet again, but this has not helped with the problem. Does anyone have an idea that would help with this?

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
Re: Can I retrieve my lost coins?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »
This is posted under Android App Support. Can you please confirm that you are using the Android app?
"The heart of any cryptocurrency can be found in the spirit of its community."

Offline wonderizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate Edition actually.

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate Edition actually.

Thanks for the update. I'll move this thread to the correct forum now.

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
Try these steps to recover your Goldcoins:

1. Download the latest version of the Goldcoin wallet for Windows: http://www.gldcoin.com/get-started/

2. Install the software and allow the wallet to fully sync with the network. This will take a couple of hours.

3. Close the Goldcoin client.

4. Retrieve your wallet.dat file from the old installation or from backup. Wallet.dat files are located in /users/<username>/appdata/roaming/GoldCoin (GLD)/

5. Rename the wallet.dat file in your new installation to wallet_new.dat. Copy the old wallet.dat file into the directory.

6. Reopen the Goldcoin client.

Please give this a shot and report back with the results. Good luck!  :)

Offline wonderizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
Thanks again for your reply. I tried what you said. It took me a while to get the wallet fully synched. The problem is, I have my old version of GoldCoin (GLD) in my programs files, but not in my user section.

I don't think the file you told me about is there. Do you have any other suggestions?

Offline wonderizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »
Well, I still couldn't find the coins. I wonder where they went. Maybe I lost them in the process of upgrading or moving house or something (?). Oh well, I didn't have many anyway.

By the way, I am considering buying more GoldCoins. Is there any step by step info on how to securely buy, store, sell them, etc?

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:36:42 AM »
Well, I still couldn't find the coins. I wonder where they went. Maybe I lost them in the process of upgrading or moving house or something (?). Oh well, I didn't have many anyway.

By the way, I am considering buying more GoldCoins. Is there any step by step info on how to securely buy, store, sell them, etc?

You can backup the Windows wallet by choosing "Backup Wallet" from the "File" menu. Be sure to save the file to a location external to your computer such as a flash drive or cloud account.

There are several popular exchanges where you can purchase and trade Goldcoin. You'll find a list of the popular exchanges under the "Purchase Goldcoins" menu item on our main website: http://www.gldcoin.com/