March 29, 2024, 07:30:25 AM

Author Topic: I have lost my Goldcoins from my wallet. How to get them back?  (Read 8409 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
I have lost my Goldcoins from my wallet. How to get them back?
« on: September 28, 2017, 01:55:11 AM »
Hello. I haven't logged on to my wallet for maybe 2-3 months but I had there some GLD's. But when I opened the wallet today I saw the Balance: 0. Also there is no transactions history. Completly nothing and empty wallet. And it started automaticly downloading blocks so I let it happen because I thought maybe when it's done it will show my GLD's but it's still empty.

Can someone please advise me what can I do in this situation to get GLD's back?

Regards, Mike

Offline Stouse49

• Gold Engineer
  • DevTeam
    • View Profile
Re: I have lost my Goldcoins from my wallet. How to get them back?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
What software is it?  The desktop client (Windows, Mac, Linux) or the android App?
GLD: E1A6WogjpqU3KjjoRUD63f7kofrFozmyfg

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
I have PC with Windows XP SP3.
And the GLD Wallet version: v0.7.2.1-g7.2.1a-beta

Offline Stouse49

• Gold Engineer
  • DevTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:23:29 PM »
Did you make a backup?  Did you delete your old wallet?

If you made a backup there is a way to restore the wallet.

Are there any transactions in your wallet after syncing?  Do you have no balance (0.00 GLD) or no record of receiving or sending GLD?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:29:51 AM by Stouse49 »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:05:10 AM »
I didn't make backup and I also didn't delete my old wallet. Two months ago I just checked the wallet and I had there my GoldCoins and a few days ago when I opened it again there were none.

But I can see a file called wallet.dat in the folder "GoldCoin (GLD)" that has 88 KB. Could be that the wallet doesn't read this file for some reason?

After syncing there are no transactions (shows: 0). And I have no balance (0 GLD) and no record.

Offline Stouse49

• Gold Engineer
  • DevTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
If you are using windows and go to the wallet.dat file and see if there are Previous Versions available after right clicking on the file and picking Properties in Windows.

88KB is a small file, but not the smallest that a wallet.dat would be if it was empty.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:40 PM »
Unfortunately I don't see anything like Previous Version after right clicking on the file wallet.dat and entering the Properties.

Could I try installing older verison of GLD wallet on the other camputer and trying to copy the wallet.dat file?

Offline cryptosolar

• Legendary
  • - Leading light -
    • View Profile
    • https://www.goldcoin.org/
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
Unfortunately I don't see anything like Previous Version after right clicking on the file wallet.dat and entering the Properties.

Could I try installing older verison of GLD wallet on the other camputer and trying to copy the wallet.dat file?

:wave:
here is a tutorial of how to backup and restore your wallet.dat on Windows 7. it is simmilar to 8 and 10.
https://www.goldcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3481.0

If it is not working and your client is full synced then the Coins are gone.

Dont forget always to backup your wallet.dat.

Offline Stouse49

• Gold Engineer
  • DevTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »

Most of the previous versions of the GoldCoin clients won't work (or sync, rather).  All versions use the same wallet.dat format, so you could install the previous version and try that.  We don't currently know of any version related issues with wallet files and not reading them correctly. 

The other thing you can try is starting the goldcoin-qt.exe file with the -rescan parameter.  Meaning if you open a command line window in the folder that contains goldcoin-qt.exe, then enter the command:
Code: [Select]
goldcoin-qt -rescan
This is a tough one. 

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »
I have tried what "cryptosolar" advised to do but there is still 0 balance. I installed GLD wallet on the other computer with win 7. waited to finish syncing and copied wallet.dat file. And when I reopened it there was still 0 balance.

The other thing that you "Stouse49" advise I don't know how to do. I have win XP and I don't know where and when to type your command.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
The other veird thing that I've just discovered is that there are no search results in GLD Blockchain Explorer for my last (and only one) transaction that took place in 2016.
DwsdEMpa6K5yHsVr498uz6cmDoJVjpFpTS - this is the GLD adress to where I've sent my GLD's last time when I changed my camputer to newer one. So it should show one transaction.  And this is the same adress that the wallet shows right now, so it is the same.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 03:22:34 AM »
I have got something new. I checked my older wallet adress in blockchain and it shows like my GLD's have never been sent. Like they are still in my older wallet. But that is very weird because I have seen them and received them on my newer wallet in newer computer. And that's why I deleted older wallet and threw away the old computer...

Offline Stouse49

• Gold Engineer
  • DevTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 06:55:16 PM »
The other veird thing that I've just discovered is that there are no search results in GLD Blockchain Explorer for my last (and only one) transaction that took place in 2016.
DwsdEMpa6K5yHsVr498uz6cmDoJVjpFpTS - this is the GLD adress to where I've sent my GLD's last time when I changed my camputer to newer one. So it should show one transaction.  And this is the same adress that the wallet shows right now, so it is the same.

Yes, you are correct that your address shows no results on the block explorer.  https://chainz.cryptoid.info/gld/search.dws?q=DwsdEMpa6K5yHsVr498uz6cmDoJVjpFpTS+

How do you know that you sent a transaction to that address in 2016?  Was it from Cryptsy?  Was it from someone else, where you can ask them to prove they sent it?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »
Stouse49  I know that I sent my GLD's in 2016 to this adress, because I have recived them on my newer computer. And the wallet adress that I posted was the one that I used for sure. This wallet adress is for the GLD wallet on my newer computer. In 2016 I copied it and sent to myself on email. Then I turned on my old computer, opened GLD wallet with GLD's and sent them to the adress from my email. After maybe 1-3 hours I checked my GLD wallet on my newer computer and the GLD's were there. And they were still there for like 9 months for sure, because every two-three months I used to open GLD wallet and I saw the GLD's.  And couple days ago when I opened GLD wallet it turned out to be empty with no history of transactions and no GLD's.

I also found yesterday my previous wallet adress and checked it  and to my surprise it shows that all my GLD's are still in my previous wallet.  I don't know how this is possible. But I uninstalled the old wallet a long time ago and  I threw away my old computer. I guess now will be very hard to get the GLD's back...

But I had them in my new wallet. So how can it be?

Offline Stouse49

• Gold Engineer
  • DevTeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 05:09:05 AM »
Yes, it will be very hard or impossible to get your wallet back.  If it is not backed up, then there is nothing anyone can do.  Especially if the computer with the original wallet is one.

I can't provide an explanation of why it seemed as if the coins were sent to you new wallet, but now they only appear in your old address for which there is no backup.