March 29, 2024, 11:55:44 AM

Author Topic: Cryptopia Exchange Maintenance Issues  (Read 5390 times)

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
Cryptopia Exchange Maintenance Issues
« on: November 01, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »
Overview:

As you are all aware, the Cryptopia exchange wallet was placed into maintenance on September 5th, 2018 in response to an orchestrated attack.

In response, the Goldcoin developers immediately began working to strengthen our client by adding ACPD (Advanced Check Pointing w/ Difficulty detection) and patching the recently discovered Bitcoin bug known as CVE-2018-17144. The Goldcoin network is now stronger than it's been at any time during its long 6-year history.

Please make sure you are running the latest version of the client wallet which is version 0.14.4. It can be downloaded here.

Exchange Shortage:

According to Cryptopia, this attack allowed a user (or users) to double-spend GLD on the exchange, leaving a shortage of 1,360,108 GLD relative to user balances. While the Goldcoin developers and Cryptopia have put into place safeguards to prevent this from ever happening again, we've been asked to help Cryptopia reconcile this balance deficient before trading is resumed.

The Goldcoin developers have offered to pay 300K GLD to Cryptopia to help them with this process. I personally feel that because the Goldcoin wallet was partially responsible for the success of the attack, that's the least we can do. We have extended this offer to Cryptopia today and asked them to trade the other available exchanges to make up the remaining shortage.

In my opinion, this is a good offer considering Goldcoin is open-source, decentralized, and supported by volunteers. We all have a duty (exchanges included) to contribute to the safety and well-being of the network. Monitoring internal and external networks, along with transaction and trading activities, can go a long way in countering these types of attacks.

Community donations:

If you would like to help Cryptopia in making up this balance deficit, you can send GLD to the following address:

GLD: E3uSaQHDx1ngQsNvLoHx64bqywyQaxuY8n

~~

In conclusion, we have sent our offer to pay 300K to Cryptopia today. I will update this thread once we receive their response.

Please feel free to post your comments below.
"The heart of any cryptocurrency can be found in the spirit of its community."

Offline ipaint

• Global Moderator
  • Artist View
    • View Profile
    • Abstract Artist
Re: Cryptopia Exchange Maintenance Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:35:46 PM »
Did you hear from them yet?
Artist, Writer, Producer, Voice-overs,  DJ,
View my art work on AbstractArtist.xyz
GLD: DtJthUQungFQZ65c9j7PcmjSyTfWKRq3LL

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »
Did you hear from them yet?

I will update this thread once we receive a reply.
"The heart of any cryptocurrency can be found in the spirit of its community."

Offline ipaint

• Global Moderator
  • Artist View
    • View Profile
    • Abstract Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:45:18 AM »
Micro,
16 days and no reply yet?  :shock:
Artist, Writer, Producer, Voice-overs,  DJ,
View my art work on AbstractArtist.xyz