April 18, 2024, 07:23:14 PM

Author Topic: Seed Nodes Issue  (Read 6527 times)

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
Seed Nodes Issue
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:22:37 AM »

I was not aware of this but upon transfer of the domain GLDCOIN.COM, I failed to properly configure the DNS for seed nodes. This issue is currently being addressed and I expect to have it resolved today.
"The heart of any cryptocurrency can be found in the spirit of its community."

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
Re: Seed Nodes Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
Update:

It's my understanding that posting this information does not pose a security threat, so if I am mistaken please inform me and it will be removed.

For those of you not aware of the seed node issue, I have temporarily found a resolution thanks to four very helpful developers. I'm no expert in this area so I must rely on the advice of knowledgeable community members. I was alerted yesterday by twobits that the seed node pointers in the DNS had vanished. Then I recalled deleting those entries when the GLDCOIN.COM domain was transferred into my account. I did not realize they were needed for the client to function properly.

The client has two hosts it looks at for nodes. I have now updated their DNS entries as follows:

seed.gldcoin.com = 72.11.149.185 (recommend by gdlcoin today)
vps.gldcoin.com = 207.12.89.2 (seed node by hyoshi)

DreamWatcher who runs one of the official pools has also just given us permission to use the IP 50.116.22.43 which is the VPS the Goldcoin explorer is on. And in addition I am securing a new VPS this evening for community use.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:30:00 PM by MicroGuy »

Offline dreamwatcher

• Gold Miner
    • View Profile
    • CryptoCoin Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 05:02:31 PM »
Yes, go ahead and use CCE Goldcoin Explorer address. I tell all coin users they can use CCE as an addnode and developers are more then welcome to use the CCE as a hard coded seed node.

The next step is a bit more complicated.

DNS seed nodes. DNS seed nodes keep DNS records of all the nodes it encounters through scanning the coins P2P network. When a client/daemon uses a dns seed node, it gets a DNS list of random address picked from the dns seed node records, normally 10 addresses.

These are kind of a pain to set up, DNS is always a pain in the arse... ;)

At this time I cannot offer a dns seed for Goldcoin, as I am already working on a couple for other coins. I just wanted to make the community aware that this is the next step in building a full coin network.

Offline twobits

• Gold Panner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
DNS seed nodes. DNS seed nodes keep DNS records of all the nodes it encounters through scanning the coins P2P network. When a client/daemon uses a dns seed node, it gets a DNS list of random address picked from the dns seed node records, normally 10 addresses.

There are two types of DNS seed nodes.  Both are in use currently by Bitcoin.  I call the one you are describing dynamic.  I have so far only seen it used by some of the bitcoin seeds.  Have you seen some alts using this as well?  I offered to write one for devcoin earlier, but they had no interest in bothering with it.  It would not be too bad to do.   Gets a bit more complicated if you want to try and make it do some geolocation and sorting based on requesters ip address though.   The other type is like the node run by jgarik that just returns a curated list of well known seeds.  That is easy enough to do, and even just adding another to the list returned will be an improvement from what was present before.  That should be just fine for awhile.

Also,  seed nodes are only used during bootstrapping, or if you have not run your client for awhile and all the peers it discovered are now offline.     I am not sure yet if this code has the same issue as the older code where  if you have a dnsSeed the fallback to pnSeeds stops working.  Does not matter yet, since the code has no pnSeeds in it.

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
So should I go ahead and change seed.gldcoin.com from '72.11.149.185' to '50.116.22.43'?

Offline twobits

• Gold Panner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »
So should I go ahead and change seed.gldcoin.com from '72.11.149.185' to '50.116.22.43'?

Not exactly. You should add it.  It should have an  A record  for each address. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:06:57 PM by twobits »

Offline dreamwatcher

• Gold Miner
    • View Profile
    • CryptoCoin Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
The A record for the VPS the Goldcoin explorer is:

cryptocoinexplorer2.com

gld.cryptocoinexplorer.com is Cname directed to gld.cryptocoinexplorer2.com

Offline MicroGuy

• System Admin
  • "Shoot for the Stars!"
    • View Profile
    • MicroGuy.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
In the DNS, for someone reason 72.11.149.185 is unreachable by PING?

Offline hyoshi

• Gold Panner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
Yes, go ahead and use CCE Goldcoin Explorer address. I tell all coin users they can use CCE as an addnode and developers are more then welcome to use the CCE as a hard coded seed node.

The next step is a bit more complicated.

At this time I cannot offer a dns seed for Goldcoin, as I am already working on a couple for other coins. I just wanted to make the community aware that this is the next step in building a full coin network.

Same here... while I have time to work on the clients, to work on this there is no financial incentive for me to do so, especially in the middle of the summer...  If i was rewarded for my efforts, thats one thing, but for the time being I think efforts are better spent trying to get someone to accept the coin, to maybe increase the value.

Someone also needs to host or pay for a dedicated server for this (even AWS would likely cost $ after time), and the DNS NS records will need to also be changed to this server's IP
GLD: Dz5fZfBDGHxqaNGD9cNjQcYqATTtMsdowc